Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Local Wednesday: Women rule and women ride

My favorite month of the year is almost here!

May is National Bike Month. For me this usually means three things: I debate whether or not I want to ride in the Five Boro Bike Tour; I finally start commuting by bike on a regular basis; and I get free bagels on Friday mornings from the friendly folks at UWSSR.

As if that wasn't reason enough to love May, Girl Bike Love is now celebrating women, bicycles, and women on bicycles with CycloFemme.


Like the elegant simplicity of a bicycle itself, CycloFemme's mission is straightforward: "Inspire more women to ride, in their own femmetastic way." 

More specifically, CycloFemme provides a forum for women's bicycle love stories and calls women (and men!) to ride together (everywhere!) on May 13. Check out the ride list here.

Are you joining or hosting a CycleFemme ride? I'd love to hear about it!

2 comments:

  1. May is when I start commuting by bike too. I'm really excited about it this year, since I just got a new commuter bike. After years of dragging my ancient steel framed 10 speed up 2 flights of stairs, I am finally got a bike that folds - it's way lighter and it will be so easy to get into my apartment. I've done a few rides already, and it is SO FAST!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa. I am ashamed to say it, but I had no idea that full-size folding bikes existed! That's amazing. Which model do you have? And yeah, it's amazing how much of an impact a light bike can have on your riding mood. I used to get so grumpy lugging my heavy hybrid up stairs, or struggling to start up quickly at traffic lights. Not any more!

    ReplyDelete